LOS ANGELES (AP) – Airports around the nation observed a moment of silence Friday to honor the Transportation Security Administration officer killed by a gunman at Los Angeles International Airport a week ago.
With heads bowed and hands folded, passengers and TSA officers alike stopped Friday at LAX as “Taps” was played to remember Gerardo Hernandez. Operations were halted at hundreds of U.S. airports at 9:20 a.m. PST _ the same time Hernandez was shot and killed last week.
The 39-year-old father of two was the first TSA officer killed in the line of duty. A public memorial service for Hernandez will be held Tuesday at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena.
Authorities said the alleged gunman, Paul Ciancia, targeted TSA officers. Two other TSA officers and a bystander were wounded before police shot Ciancia, who remains hospitalized in critical condition.
Federal agents are investigating possible ties between Ciancia and a widely circulated conspiracy theory that the U.S. government is preparing to establish a totalitarian state.
Ciancia has been charged with first-degree murder of a federal officer and committing violence at an international airport. It wasn’t immediately known when he will make his first court appearance.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier