DENVER (AP) – Denver police say two 15-year-olds put their lives at risk when they broke into an empty school building carrying BB guns that appeared to be long rifles.
Department spokesman Sonny Jackson said Tuesday the guns were found after a three-hour standoff during which police tried to coax the teens out using the school intercom system. Police said the weapons looked like assault rifles.
Two backpacks were also recovered containing items the teens were apparently attempting to steal. Police were worried they might have contained explosives and they brought in a SWAT team and the bomb squad, which sent a robot into KIPP Montbello College Prep Middle School.
Jackson said the standoff could have ended tragically.
“A lot of BB guns look realistic. We don’t want anyone to get hurt,” he said after the ordeal ended. He said the two students who were arrested did not attend that school.
The teens were in custody Tuesday and it will be up to the Denver District Attorney’s Office to determine if they will be charged as adults.
Neighbors were called and told to stay indoors. The school reopened after police searched the building.
Police were called after a cleaning crew spotted the teens breaking into the school. Jackson said the youths may have tried unsuccessfully to break into another school an hour before the standoff began.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier