DENVER (AP) – Denver police say two 15-year-olds put their lives at risk when they broke into an empty school building carrying BB guns that appeared to be long rifles.
Department spokesman Sonny Jackson said Tuesday the guns were found after a three-hour standoff during which police tried to coax the teens out using the school intercom system. Police said the weapons looked like assault rifles.
Two backpacks were also recovered containing items the teens were apparently attempting to steal. Police were worried they might have contained explosives and they brought in a SWAT team and the bomb squad, which sent a robot into KIPP Montbello College Prep Middle School.
Jackson said the standoff could have ended tragically.
“A lot of BB guns look realistic. We don’t want anyone to get hurt,” he said after the ordeal ended. He said the two students who were arrested did not attend that school.
The teens were in custody Tuesday and it will be up to the Denver District Attorney’s Office to determine if they will be charged as adults.
Neighbors were called and told to stay indoors. The school reopened after police searched the building.
Police were called after a cleaning crew spotted the teens breaking into the school. Jackson said the youths may have tried unsuccessfully to break into another school an hour before the standoff began.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon