For August, your ‘Rosie-do’ list has 5 recommended to-dos to keep your home up an running smoothly:
Start planning your fall vegetable garden
If you already have a garden ready to go, here are vegetables to plant soon: Bush and pole beans by Aug. 15; celery, cucumbers, fall peas and cauliflower after Aug. 15.
The big planting season starts in September. If you’re doing a garden for the first time, start really small and spend a couple of weekends preparing the soil with composts, mulches and organic fertilizer. New gardeners should also pick veggies that are easy to grow, such as radishes and lettuces.
Create a lush lawn
Find out all about it at a free seminar on desert lawn care held by the Arizona Municipal Water Users Association.
Seminars in Phoenix are being on Aug. 11 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Yucca Library on 15th Avenue and Aug. 25 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Agave Library on 36th Avenue. Check the association webite to find out how to register.
Having electrical problems?
August, with its electrically-charged monsoon storms, is often the time when you begin to wonder about the condition of your electric panel. The panel, of course, can be replaced and expanded to provide new circuits.
You might also want a whole house surge protector wired into your panel to prevent damage to appliances and electronic devices. Call one of our Rosie-Certified electricians to help with this project.
Check out your roof
Once the storm season ends, have a registered roofer climb up there to have a look, particularly if there have been hailstorms or severe winds in your area. If you see that your neighbors are having roof repairs, then it’s possible you have a problem, too, even if you haven’t had leaks inside the house.
This is often one of the buggiest times of the year, especially if rain creates muggy conditions. Call a pest-control company to handle ants, mosquitoes and crickets. Have a termite inspection if you find mud tubes on your home’s foundation.
Remember the best and most-trusted contractors and home service providers are our Rosie-certified contractors. Find and contact the Rosie-certified roofers, air conditioning and extermination specialists at RosieontheHouse.com.
For more DIY tips and information about all the projects around your house, home, castle or cabin, visit Arizona’s largest collection of homeowner DIY advice and information.
Tune in to KTAR every Saturday morning from 7-11 a.m. for the Rosie on the House broadcast!
- December's Rosie-do list: It's time to get ready for the Arizona winter
- November's Rosie-do list: Time to get ready for the holidays
- October's Rosie-do List: Keep your home running smoothly this month
- September’s Rosie-do list: Get your veggies, trees and yard ready for fall
- August’s Rosie-do list: Fix the monsoon issues, get ready for fall
- July's Rosie-do list will help you fight bugs brought on by the monsoon
- Ready your home for monsoon season with June's 'Rosie-do' list
- Eight things for homeowners to add to their 'Rosie-do' list for May
- 6 to-do items for your April 'Rosie-do' list
- Your 'Rosie-Do List' for March: Time to start gearing up for summer
- Rosie-Do List for February: Get outdoors to prepare for spring
- Here’s your ‘Rosie-Do List’ for January