BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) – The Birmingham airport reopened Sunday after a threat prompted an investigation by bomb technicians, flight diversions and a two-hour evacuation of hundreds of passengers.
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport officials said in a Facebook post around 6:30 p.m. CST that the airport was secured and normal operations were resuming.
Airport authority spokeswoman Toni Bast said an airport employee found a note containing the threat in a bathroom around 4 p.m. and turned it over to police. She said bomb squads swept the terminal but found nothing.
“The threat was enough for us to evacuate the terminal,” she said.
The airport was fully operational and flights were resuming Sunday evening. Bast said about a dozen flights were either delayed or diverted.
FBI spokesman Paul Daymond said the agency’s bomb technicians worked with local police to investigate.
Evacuees posted pictures on social media of dozens of people outside the airport after the threat.
The Birmingham evacuation comes two days after a gunman opened fire at Los Angeles International Airport. Authorities say he shot and killed a TSA officer and wounded three other people.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night