BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) – The Birmingham airport reopened Sunday after a threat prompted an investigation by bomb technicians, flight diversions and a two-hour evacuation of hundreds of passengers.
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport officials said in a Facebook post around 6:30 p.m. CST that the airport was secured and normal operations were resuming.
Airport authority spokeswoman Toni Bast said an airport employee found a note containing the threat in a bathroom around 4 p.m. and turned it over to police. She said bomb squads swept the terminal but found nothing.
“The threat was enough for us to evacuate the terminal,” she said.
The airport was fully operational and flights were resuming Sunday evening. Bast said about a dozen flights were either delayed or diverted.
FBI spokesman Paul Daymond said the agency’s bomb technicians worked with local police to investigate.
Evacuees posted pictures on social media of dozens of people outside the airport after the threat.
The Birmingham evacuation comes two days after a gunman opened fire at Los Angeles International Airport. Authorities say he shot and killed a TSA officer and wounded three other people.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development