WASHINGTON (AP) – European Union officials say U.S. surveillance of their people could affect negotiations over a U.S.-Europe trade agreement, after new allegations that the National Security Agency may have eavesdropped on world leaders and gathered tens of millions of Europeans’ phone records.
Speaking to reporters Monday, European Parliament’s foreign affairs committee Chairman Elmar Brok says counterterrorism cooperation must continue but that European privacy must be better respected, and enshrined in data protection agreements now being negotiated as part of the trade deal.
He said if a resolution to the crisis was not found, the entire deal could be affected.
Brok is leading a European delegation as it meets with U.S. lawmakers ahead of White House talks on new revelations leaked by ex-NSA analyst Edward Snowden.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life