ROSEVILLE, Calif. (AP) – Police said a wanted parolee fired first in a shootout that left six officers injured and led to an hours-long standoff in a suburban Sacramento city before he surrendered.
Roseville police spokesman Lt. Cal Walstad said that one officer with a jaw wound and a federal agent shot in the leg remain hospitalized Saturday in serious condition. Four other Roseville officers injured by shrapnel were treated and released.
The suspect in the violent confrontation is a gang member with a criminal record that includes assault and carjacking. Samuel Nathan Duran, 32, was taken to the Placer County jail Saturday after being treated for scrapes and cuts after surrendering just after midnight.
“Last night our community experienced what can happen in any when a violent wanted felon is completely committed to not going back to jail,” Police Chief Daniel Hahn said Saturday.
Duran was being held on a parole violation, but Hahn said he expected multiple charges of attempted murder would be added.
Duran’s aunt told the Sacramento Bee they did not believe he fired the shots that struck the federal agent and that the police response to the incident was excessive.
“This is out of proportion _ (Duran’s) a parolee,” Donna Sandoval said. “My nephew isn’t a murderer for all this … to happen. They shot first at my house.”
State corrections officials told The Associated Press that Duran has a record stretching back to at least 2002, when he was convicted of possessing a controlled substance. In 2009, he was sentenced to four years for assault with a deadly weapon, resisting arrest and attempted carjacking.
Records show he was paroled last in April, but that the parole was revoked in July.
Hahn said officers on an unrelated gang enforcement mission recognized Duran as a wanted parolee when they saw him riding a bike Friday afternoon.
A federal agent embedded with the Roseville police department tried to chase Duran on foot, but was shot in the leg. Officials said Duran was armed with a handgun but wouldn’t specify the type.
Hahn asserted that Duran opened fire when he was confronted.
Duran quickly holed up in a nearby house, and a mother and child inside escaped out a side door.
The shootout sparked panic and chaos in the typically quiet middle class suburb of about 120,000 that is 20 miles northeast of the state capitol. Walstad described multiple shooting sites as the suspect tried to escape a swarm of law enforcement agents, and reporters on the scene described hearing several volleys of gunfire.
As officers tried to capture the suspect before his surrender, helicopters were circling overhead and armored vehicles and other police cars flocked to the area.
At least 15 homes were evacuated, and the area remained a crime scene Saturday, Walstad said.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman Virginia Kice said the Homeland Security Investigations agent was stable and in good spirits after being taken to Sutter Roseville Medical Center.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas