VICTORVILLE, Calif. (AP) – An autopsy was planned on a baby girl whose body was found on a conveyor belt by a worker sorting out cans and plastics at a Southern California recycling center.
Authorities said the body was found wrapped in a blanket Thursday morning at the plant in Victorville, about 85 miles north of Los Angeles.
Homicide detectives from the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department were investigating. The infant’s age was not immediately known, but authorities said she appeared to be a newborn.
Sheriff’s spokeswoman Cindy Bachman said Friday that there were few leads in the case.
“No one has come forward to identify the baby,” she said. “So until the autopsy is done, there are a lot of questions that can’t be answered.”
The recycling center serves residents and businesses in the high desert region northeast of Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Mountains.
It’s the latest case of bodies discovered at recycling centers in Southern California.
Last year, a newborn baby girl was found in the recycling yard of a Los Angeles County waste collection firm. In 2011, a woman’s body was discovered in the trash at a Los Angeles recycling center. That same year, a woman’s body was recovered from a trash sorting facility in Los Angeles.
In 2010, a decomposed body was found in a pile of trash at a recycling center in Los Angeles’ Chinatown neighborhood.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon