VICTORVILLE, Calif. (AP) – An autopsy was planned on a baby girl whose body was found on a conveyor belt by a worker sorting out cans and plastics at a Southern California recycling center.
Authorities said the body was found wrapped in a blanket Thursday morning at the plant in Victorville, about 85 miles north of Los Angeles.
Homicide detectives from the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department were investigating. The infant’s age was not immediately known, but authorities said she appeared to be a newborn.
Sheriff’s spokeswoman Cindy Bachman said Friday that there were few leads in the case.
“No one has come forward to identify the baby,” she said. “So until the autopsy is done, there are a lot of questions that can’t be answered.”
The recycling center serves residents and businesses in the high desert region northeast of Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Mountains.
It’s the latest case of bodies discovered at recycling centers in Southern California.
Last year, a newborn baby girl was found in the recycling yard of a Los Angeles County waste collection firm. In 2011, a woman’s body was discovered in the trash at a Los Angeles recycling center. That same year, a woman’s body was recovered from a trash sorting facility in Los Angeles.
In 2010, a decomposed body was found in a pile of trash at a recycling center in Los Angeles’ Chinatown neighborhood.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America