SALEM, Mass. (AP) – A 15-year-old Massachusetts boy charged with killing his math teacher pleaded not guilty Thursday to a second charge of raping her.
Phillip Chism, shackled at the feet, stood with his head bowed at Salem Superior Court as the judge read the latest charge against him in connection with the killing of 24-year-old Danvers High School teacher Colleen Ritzer.
About two dozen people attended the brief hearing, including members of Ritzer’s family, who left without commenting. Chism’s attorney, Denise Regan, declined to comment after the hearing.
Ritzer, a math teacher, was found dead in the woods near the school in October. Her throat was slit and a note reading, “I hate you all” was found at the scene.
Authorities said Chism, then 14, killed Ritzer with a box cutter he had taken to school after she asked him to stay after for help. He had previously pleaded not guilty to charges of rape, robbery and murder.
In court documents released last week, state police said Chism confessed to killing Ritzer, but denied sexually assaulting her.
According to the documents, Chism made the statements while being interviewed at the Danvers Police Station, after waiving his Miranda rights.
The first rape charge accused Chism of sexually assaulting Ritzer with a stick. The second charge, filed last week, alleges he forcibly had sexual intercourse with her.
Court documents released in November describe surveillance video showing Chism following Ritzer into a school bathroom with gloves and a hood. Footage also shows Chism carrying a recycling bin into the bathroom then dragging it out behind the building. The recycling bin was found near Ritzer’s body, police said.
A hard drive of the school’s surveillance footage was submitted as evidence before the court hearing Thursday.
Attorneys discussed whether Chism will be charged as a juvenile or adult offender on the new rape count. A decision is expected by early March.
A pretrial hearing is set for April 7.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets