SALT LAKE CITY (AP) – A new house Mitt Romney is building in Utah is not only spacious and luxurious, but also a little mysterious.
The home’s study has a bookcase on the far wall that swivels open and leads into a hidden room, according to architecture plans obtained by The Salt Lake Tribune (
http://bit.ly/1a0wGL9). The drawings say the room is for office storage, and show it is 11-feet long with cabinets.
It’s not the first time plans for a Romney home include attention-grabbing features. Drawings for renovation on a waterfront house in Lo Jolla, Calif., include a split-level garage with an elevator.
The Tribune reports the 5,900-square-foot house in the Salt Lake City suburb of Holladay will be the fifth home for the former Republican presidential candidate. He recently bought an 8,700-square-foot home that has six bedrooms and eight bathrooms in the Utah mountain resort town of Park City. He also has homes in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
The planning documents for the new Utah house show it listed as a home for Romney’s wife, Ann Romney. The home sits on an acre of land next to a home being built by their son, Josh Romney, the Tribune reports.
The home is called a “new farmhouse” in drawings approved by city officials. The house will have vertical wood siding, wood shutters on the windows and large sliding barn doors. The property will have several lawns, a fountain, terraces, a gazebo and a spa.
The Tribune obtained the plans through an open records request.
Romney now will have two homes in Utah, where he has family ties going back several generations and where he came in 1999 to help save the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City from a bribery scandal.
“Looks like to me,” said Taylor Oldroyd, chief executive of the Utah County Association of Realtors, “that Mitt Romney realizes that Utah is the place to be, and wants to be there.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon