MINNEAPOLIS (AP) – A Minnesota boy who stowed away on a flight to Las Vegas last year is close to being reunited with his parents, a judge said Friday.
Hennepin County Judge Joseph Klein said he’s pleased enough with the boy’s progress that he soon may be able to permanently rejoin his family.
The boy, who is now 10, has been placed outside his home under child protective services.
Klein also complimented the boy’s parents for their engagement and support.
“I’m encouraged by all the reports,” he said
The boy was not in court Friday, the Star Tribune (
The boy, then 9, gained national notoriety Oct. 3 when he sneaked past federal security agents at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport and boarded a flight to Las Vegas by himself without a ticket. He was detained when the plane landed in Nevada, and was later returned to Minnesota.
In November, the judge and all of the parties involved agreed it would be best for the boy to remain in protective custody.
During Friday’s 15-minute hearing, the boy’s parents waived their right to challenge the county’s protective services petition. That means the county and the boy’s parents will continue working to reunite the family.
Assistant County Attorney Cory Carlson said the boy is doing well in placement. He said the boy’s parents have been engaged in his therapy and family sessions.
Carlson asked Klein to increase visitation time and to prepare a home study plan for the boy’s probable return to his family by March 19, when the next court hearing is held.
Information from: Star Tribune,
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.