MINNEAPOLIS (AP) – A Minnesota boy who stowed away on a flight to Las Vegas last year is close to being reunited with his parents, a judge said Friday.
Hennepin County Judge Joseph Klein said he’s pleased enough with the boy’s progress that he soon may be able to permanently rejoin his family.
The boy, who is now 10, has been placed outside his home under child protective services.
Klein also complimented the boy’s parents for their engagement and support.
“I’m encouraged by all the reports,” he said
The boy was not in court Friday, the Star Tribune (
The boy, then 9, gained national notoriety Oct. 3 when he sneaked past federal security agents at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport and boarded a flight to Las Vegas by himself without a ticket. He was detained when the plane landed in Nevada, and was later returned to Minnesota.
In November, the judge and all of the parties involved agreed it would be best for the boy to remain in protective custody.
During Friday’s 15-minute hearing, the boy’s parents waived their right to challenge the county’s protective services petition. That means the county and the boy’s parents will continue working to reunite the family.
Assistant County Attorney Cory Carlson said the boy is doing well in placement. He said the boy’s parents have been engaged in his therapy and family sessions.
Carlson asked Klein to increase visitation time and to prepare a home study plan for the boy’s probable return to his family by March 19, when the next court hearing is held.
Information from: Star Tribune,
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development