MINNEAPOLIS (AP) – A Minnesota boy who stowed away on a flight to Las Vegas last year is close to being reunited with his parents, a judge said Friday.
Hennepin County Judge Joseph Klein said he’s pleased enough with the boy’s progress that he soon may be able to permanently rejoin his family.
The boy, who is now 10, has been placed outside his home under child protective services.
Klein also complimented the boy’s parents for their engagement and support.
“I’m encouraged by all the reports,” he said
The boy was not in court Friday, the Star Tribune (
The boy, then 9, gained national notoriety Oct. 3 when he sneaked past federal security agents at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport and boarded a flight to Las Vegas by himself without a ticket. He was detained when the plane landed in Nevada, and was later returned to Minnesota.
In November, the judge and all of the parties involved agreed it would be best for the boy to remain in protective custody.
During Friday’s 15-minute hearing, the boy’s parents waived their right to challenge the county’s protective services petition. That means the county and the boy’s parents will continue working to reunite the family.
Assistant County Attorney Cory Carlson said the boy is doing well in placement. He said the boy’s parents have been engaged in his therapy and family sessions.
Carlson asked Klein to increase visitation time and to prepare a home study plan for the boy’s probable return to his family by March 19, when the next court hearing is held.
Information from: Star Tribune,
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them