PHOENIX — A retired U.S. Navy rear admiral swung out at Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s comments about Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) on Wednesday.
Addressing the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia, Rear Admiral John Hutson (ret.) said Trump has no right to call out McCain’s service record.
“[Trump] even mocks our POWs, like John McCain,” he said. “I served in the same Navy as John McCain. I used to vote in the same party as John McCain.
“Donald, you’re not fit to polish John McCain’s boots!”
The line was met by a large round of applause from attendees at the convention.
A Navy pilot during the Vietnam War, McCain was captured after his plane was shot down. He was held for more than five years as a prisoner of war.
Many politicians weighed in immediately after Trump’s comments, from which the billionaire did not back down.
The quote has followed Trump for more than a year, and Hutson’s reference was not the only one made by a speaker at the Democratic convention.
U.S. Rep. Ruben Gallego (D-Ariz.) said he is “offended” by the way Trump treats veterans.
“As a Marine, as an Arizonan, as an American, I am offended,” Gallego, who served in the Marines, said in his address.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Arizona lawmakers say global subsidies threaten local airline jobs
- Politics and Sean Spicer take center stage at Emmy Awards
- Are Donald Trump, Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer now friends?
- ASU president responds to Trump’s DACA decision with 5-step outline
- Awaiting Trump’s DACA decision, ASU president commits to ‘all students’