(AP) – The wife of a Louisiana man charged with killing a preacher had filed a rape complaint against the pastor two days before the shooting, but it’s not yet clear if there was an assault or a consensual sexual relationship, a sheriff said Monday.
Woodrow Karey is charged with fatally shooting 53-year-old Ronald Harris Sr. during a revival service Friday at the Tabernacle of Praise Worship Center in Lake Charles.
Calcasieu Parish Sheriff Tony Mancuso told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Monday that Harris and the suspect’s wife had exchanged text messages before she filed the rape complaint.
The sheriff’s department says Karey found the messages on his wife’s cellphone on Sept. 21, a few days before she filed the complaint and less than a week before the shooting.
It’s not clear if there was a consensual relationship or not, and that will be a focus of the investigation, Mancuso said.
“We’re trying to put all the pieces together,” Mancuso said.
The sheriff declined to release a copy of the rape complaint, saying it’s part of the ongoing investigation.
Mancuso said search warrants for phone records and other evidence may help paint a better picture of what led to the pastor’s death.
Mancuso said Karey was cooperative earlier in the investigation but is no longer talking. The name of his attorney was not immediately available.
Karey was scheduled to appear by video from jail for a court hearing Tuesday morning to determine if he can afford to hire his own lawyer or if one should be appointed to him.
Mancuso planned to talk to Karey’s wife.
The suspect’s wife did not immediately respond to a message at her place of employment on Monday. Calls to the couple’s home rang unanswered on Monday.
The pastor’s relatives and church members say the 53-year-old suspect was once a member of the church but left several years ago without explanation.
Wendy Bernard, a church secretary and Harris family friend, was with the pastor’s family Monday morning and said Karey had never shown signs of hostility, “none at all.”
The Harris family could not immediately be reached for comment about the rape complaint. Calls to the pastor’s house went unanswered after the sheriff disclosed the complaint.
Talisha Harris, the pastor’s daughter, said in an interview over the weekend that preaching had not yet begun Friday night when the gunman burst into the sanctuary.
She said a woman who had been handing out visitor packets at the front door ran in, shouting, “He got a gun! He got a gun! He got a gun!”
“He came in down the middle aisle. He shot at my daddy” but hit a flower pot, Harris said. “My daddy ran. He shot him in the back. When he fell, he came closer and shot him again.”
The gunman ran out a side door, she said.
Kim Myers, spokeswoman for the Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office, has said that Karey has no known history of crime or mental troubles. She said he called police to surrender minutes after the shooting and told deputies where to find a shotgun and a .22-caliber pistol he had left in nearby woods.
Associated Press write Janet McConnaughey contributed to this report.
Follow Holbrook Mohr on Twitter at
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food