GARDEN CITY, N.Y. (AP) – A disgruntled vendor walked into a suburban light fixture company where he had done business and opened fire Wednesday, killing one employee, wounding another person and leading to the lockdown of a nearby mall, police said.
The gunman fled in a white SUV toward the Roosevelt Field mall in Garden City but didn’t go there, Nassau County police Chief Steven Skrynecki said. Schools and businesses also were locked down in the area, 30 miles east of New York City.
Skrynecki said authorities were hunting for a 63-year-old man named Sang Ho Kim but didn’t think he was on a “random shooting rampage.”
“This seems to be motivated by his association with this business,” he said.
Police said Kim once served as a vendor to the light fixture import firm, Savenergy. It was unclear what sparked the shooting, but the gunman walked into a room where the owner and employees were standing and fired.
The wounded victim was undergoing surgery. No names were released.
Skrynecki said about four people were inside the building at the time. He refused to say what type of weapon was used or whether one was recovered.
Authorities said they had searched nearby buildings and lifted the lockdowns.
“We’re very confident he’s not in this immediate area,” Skrynecki said.
The shooting took place near a perimeter road that leads to the Roosevelt Field mall. The area isn’t far from where Charles Lindberg took off on his historic trans-Atlantic flight to Paris in 1927.
When reports of the shooting surfaced, no customers or workers were allowed to leave the mall and no one was allowed to enter, but customers were able to roam around inside. Some stores, like Bloomingdale’s, closed.
At Dick’s Sporting Goods, supervisor Joe DeVito said police told him no one could leave, a lockdown that lasted about an hour. He said the shoppers didn’t do much during that time but sat around and used their cellphones.
Tony Dorazio, of Nesconset, was working with a construction crew in a vacant store. He said his first news of the shooting came from the wife of a carpenter he was working with.
“She was concerned because she saw on the news that the mall was in lockdown,” he said. “We hadn’t heard that. We didn’t know. Then we heard there was a shooter in the vicinity and a suspect on the loose. But it wasn’t here.”
At nearby Nassau Community College, 18-year-old student Robert Brown said he huddled in a hallway for about two hours after police arrived on campus in search of the gunman.
“We saw Nassau County police running around the campus telling people to go inside,” he said. “It was a crazy feeling. I just ran into the nearest building.”
A call to Savenergy wasn’t returned. The company’s website said it develops energy reduction technology that promises to reduce lighting, air conditioning, heating and electrical costs.
Associated Press writers Jim Fitzgerald and Verena Dobnik and AP researcher Judith Ausuebel contributed to this report.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food