Police believe a mother and her two children’s bodies found in a home in Gilbert is the result of a murder-suicide.
The three involved according to Maricopa County sheriffs are 45-year-old Lisa Gerhart and her two children, a 17-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter. Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said they are awaiting the results of the autopsy before officially announcing the cause of death.
“We’re leaving a little part open just in case someone else could have caused these three deaths,” Arpaio said.
Arpaio says deputies found a handgun near the woman’s body and the incident could be called domestic violence.
Deputies responded to the scene at 9 p.m. Monday near Power and Chandler Heights roads after seeing a vehicle’s exhaust was spewing into the house
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Weekend wrap-up: Biggest Arizona-related stories from this past weekend
- Why wasn’t Arizona chosen for Amazon’s second headquarters?
- Phoenix-area programs awarded $26 million to give shelter to homeless
- Search for missing Phoenix woman comes to end; no remains found
- Lyft added $59 million to Phoenix economy in 2017