PHOENIX — Police in Tempe have arrested a young man and charged him with manslaughter in the accidental shooting death of a teenage relative.
Marlen Hernandez, 16, was killed when her brother-in-law Emmanuel Hilerio tried to take away a gun she was holding and it went off, shooting her in the head.
The gun belonged to Hilerio.
Hernandez and Hilerio were in an apartment near Rural Road and University Drive.
Police said that evidence was consistent with the shooting being a “tragic accident.”
Hernandez was from Nogales, Sonora, Mexico and at the apartment visiting family.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Sheriff Paul Penzone voices concerns about Ducey’s school safety plan
- Self-driving Uber car fatally runs over pedestrian in Tempe
- Tempe police: Father, son found dead inside ‘hoarding house’
- Some students won’t pay more under Arizona university tuition proposals
- Gov. Doug Ducey to introduce plan to address some school safety issues