PHOENIX — Police in Tempe have arrested a young man and charged him with manslaughter in the accidental shooting death of a teenage relative.
Marlen Hernandez, 16, was killed when her brother-in-law Emmanuel Hilerio tried to take away a gun she was holding and it went off, shooting her in the head.
The gun belonged to Hilerio.
Hernandez and Hilerio were in an apartment near Rural Road and University Drive.
Police said that evidence was consistent with the shooting being a “tragic accident.”
Hernandez was from Nogales, Sonora, Mexico and at the apartment visiting family.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Tempe councilman accused of giving girls alcohol, unwanted sexual activity
- Here are the Phoenix-area highway restrictions for Jan. 19 weekend
- Tempe fails to pass resolution opposing US-Mexico border wall
- Theater group helps immigrant and refugee students share their stories
- Amazon passes over Arizona cities for second headquarters site