PHOENIX — Police in Tempe have arrested a young man and charged him with manslaughter in the accidental shooting death of a teenage relative.
Marlen Hernandez, 16, was killed when her brother-in-law Emmanuel Hilerio tried to take away a gun she was holding and it went off, shooting her in the head.
The gun belonged to Hilerio.
Hernandez and Hilerio were in an apartment near Rural Road and University Drive.
Police said that evidence was consistent with the shooting being a “tragic accident.”
Hernandez was from Nogales, Sonora, Mexico and at the apartment visiting family.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Florida health care company bringing up to 200 jobs to Phoenix area
- 92-year-old Arizona woman held in son’s death pleads not guilty
- Charges dismissed in shootout at Arizona Border Patrol checkpoint
- Arizona Senate hopeful kills mother, uses her death in gun control debate
- Secret Service urging schools to establish teams for campus threats