PHOENIX — Police in Tempe have arrested a young man and charged him with manslaughter in the accidental shooting death of a teenage relative.
Marlen Hernandez, 16, was killed when her brother-in-law Emmanuel Hilerio tried to take away a gun she was holding and it went off, shooting her in the head.
The gun belonged to Hilerio.
Hernandez and Hilerio were in an apartment near Rural Road and University Drive.
Police said that evidence was consistent with the shooting being a “tragic accident.”
Hernandez was from Nogales, Sonora, Mexico and at the apartment visiting family.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Brews and views: Thrillist names the Phoenix area’s best rooftop bars
- Four Arizona cities among top 50 ‘most fun’ cities in US
- Mob hit man ‘Sammy The Bull’ freed early from Arizona drug conviction
- Tempe introduces program to give jobs, living assistance to homeless
- Suspect, officer injured in Phoenix shooting, police say