SAN DIEGO (AP) – The House Oversight Committee is looking into Navy contracting practices amid a widening federal probe into a multimillion-dollar bribery scheme involving a Singapore-based defense contractor accused of offering prostitution services and pricey vacations to Navy officers.
Rep. Darrell Issa’s office said Friday that Navy Secretary Ray Mabus is expected next week to brief the committee, which the California Republican chairs.
In a Jan. 28 letter sent to Mabus, Issa asked for copies of contracts between the Navy and defense contractor Leonard Glenn Francis, since 2009. He also requested the Navy’s total expenditures on port services _ food, fuel, etc. _ for the last five fiscal years.
Francis was arrested in September in San Diego and has pleaded not guilty in the case that alleges his company, Glenn Defense Marine Asia Ltd., or GDMA, overbilled the Navy by at least $20 million for port services. So far, six naval officers have been implicated in the bribery scheme, including three who have been arrested.
GDMA has serviced Navy ships for 25 years. The probe involves activities from 2009 to present.
Issa said in his letter that the scandal is one of a string of cases involving Navy contracts.
“This trend of contracting fraud and mismanagement call for closer scrutiny of the Navy’s contracting practices and oversight,” Issa wrote.
Mabus has warned more disclosures in the case are coming and called for a review of all port service contracts.
Issa is concerned that falls short, saying three years after the Navy created a special panel to improve contracting oversight, problems remain and “it does not appear the process has improved significantly.”
Mabus said he is happy to discuss.
“I’m proud of the work that the Naval Criminal Investigative Service has done to ferret out the alleged fraud and corruption carried out by GDMA and of the action our leaders have taken to strengthen our acquisition integrity and oversight processes,” he said in a statement.
An agent with the NCIS, John Beliveau II, pleaded guilty in December to bribery charges. Officials have said his plea deal could expand the investigation if he cooperates with authorities.
Navy Cmdr. Jose Luis Sanchez and Cmdr. Michael Vannak Khem Misiewicz have entered not guilty pleas to bribery charges. In addition, two Navy admirals have lost their security clearances and two other Navy officials have been relieved, but they have not been charged.
Francis’ cousin, Alex Wisidagama, a company manager who was also arrested, has pleaded not guilty in the case.
GDMA continued to get contracts even after the company was under investigation. Mabus has said information about the probe was kept to a few people and allowed authorities to collect more information and then leak a false report that enabled them to ultimately arrest Francis.
He said that, since 2009, Navy has suspended 252 contractors and prohibited another 400 from doing business with the Navy.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths