LAS VEGAS (AP) – The corporate owners of the World Series of Poker in Las Vegas are betting their championship name will play large on the Internet, with the planned launch of their real-money online gambling website.
WSOP.com will be the second entry in Nevada’s online poker world when it opens at 9:19 a.m. Thursday. Ultimate Gaming, a subsidiary of Las Vegas-based Station Casinos, became the first when it debuted an online partnership with Ultimate Poker on April 30.
WSOP.com will be available for people who live in and visit Nevada, one of three states in the U.S. with legalized online wagering. Players must be 21 or older, with their age verified by Caesars Interactive Entertainment.
“This is a historic moment for our company,” CEO Mitch Garber said. “We will bridge land-based and online gaming in ways that have never been seen before.”
Garber emphasized the link with Caesars Entertainment Corp., a publicly traded company that he called one of the most established and regulated casino operators in the United States. Garber said combining the 43-year-old World Series of Poker brand with other Caesars programs would attract “today’s technologically savvy consumers.”
One feature: WSOP.com will be the only place online to win seats in the real World Series of Poker.
“This opens up a whole new category for the WSOP brand, enabling us to connect with consumers year-round and reach them where they are most today _ on digital devices,” said WSOP.com General Manager of Online Poker Geoffrey Stewart
Nevada regulatory authorities will monitor what the officials called public field trials of cash, sit-and-go and satellite games, including penny buy-ins and tournaments starting at $1.10. Games will include limit and no-limit hold’em, with full table and short-handed games, plus Omaha hi-lo and seven card stud.
Tom Breitling, co-founder and chairman of Ultimate Gaming, issued a statement welcoming the second player at the Internet poker table.
“This news, along with the 15 million hands Ultimate Poker has dealt since April 30th, is a clear indication of the strong market for regulated online poker,” Breitling said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon