SEATTLE (AP) – Police say Washington Navy Yard shooter Aaron Alexis never got his gun back after a 2004 arrest in Seattle.
The Seattle Police Department said Friday that officials held the gun in evidence until they destroyed the weapon in 2007.
The department says Alexis had repeatedly contacted detectives asking to get his firearm back, but detectives did not release it because they had not received paperwork indicating that prosecutors had dropped the case.
Alexis was taken into custody in 2004 in Seattle after police say he shot out the tires of a vehicle parked near his grandmother’s home, where he was living at the time.
It remains unclear why he was never charged. Seattle police said they referred the case for prosecution in municipal court, but the city attorney’s office says it never received the case file to review for prosecution.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns