SEATTLE (AP) – Police say Washington Navy Yard shooter Aaron Alexis never got his gun back after a 2004 arrest in Seattle.
The Seattle Police Department said Friday that officials held the gun in evidence until they destroyed the weapon in 2007.
The department says Alexis had repeatedly contacted detectives asking to get his firearm back, but detectives did not release it because they had not received paperwork indicating that prosecutors had dropped the case.
Alexis was taken into custody in 2004 in Seattle after police say he shot out the tires of a vehicle parked near his grandmother’s home, where he was living at the time.
It remains unclear why he was never charged. Seattle police said they referred the case for prosecution in municipal court, but the city attorney’s office says it never received the case file to review for prosecution.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food