SEASIDE PARK, N.J. (AP) – Recordings of 911 calls show citizens frantically tried to extinguish the fire that destroyed more than 50 businesses on a New Jersey boardwalk.
The recordings were obtained by WNBC-TV in New York.
A caller tells a police dispatcher that people have a hose on the fire, but “it’s going from nothing to something.”
Another caller said smoke was rising out of the Seaside Park boardwalk and “everybody’s like trying to throw water on it.”
Dispatchers told callers that firefighters were on the way and warned the callers to stay away from the fire.
Wind-whipped flames spread the blaze along the boards to Seaside Heights on Sept. 12.
Officials blamed the cause on old wiring that had been compromised by saltwater and sand during Superstorm Sandy.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas