SEASIDE PARK, N.J. (AP) – Recordings of 911 calls show citizens frantically tried to extinguish the fire that destroyed more than 50 businesses on a New Jersey boardwalk.
The recordings were obtained by WNBC-TV in New York.
A caller tells a police dispatcher that people have a hose on the fire, but “it’s going from nothing to something.”
Another caller said smoke was rising out of the Seaside Park boardwalk and “everybody’s like trying to throw water on it.”
Dispatchers told callers that firefighters were on the way and warned the callers to stay away from the fire.
Wind-whipped flames spread the blaze along the boards to Seaside Heights on Sept. 12.
Officials blamed the cause on old wiring that had been compromised by saltwater and sand during Superstorm Sandy.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon