LOS ANGELES (AP) – A former Los Angeles International Airport security screener has been indicted on six counts accusing him of making threats that forced the evacuation of several terminals on the eve of the anniversary of 9/11, authorities said Monday.
Nna Alpha Onuoha, 29, was indicted Friday on three counts each of false information and hoaxes, and making telephonic threats. If convicted, he faces up to 45 years in prison. Onuoha, originally from Nigeria, is being held without bond.
Onuoha quit his Transportation Security Administration job earlier this month and returned hours later to leave a package at the agency’s airport headquarters that was addressed to a manager.
Onuoha made calls saying the airport should be cleared immediately and he would be watching to make sure the evacuation took place, according to the indictment. He also told airport police he “was going to deliver a message to America and to the world,” the indictment alleges.
A bomb squad found no explosives or harmful contents in the package left at LAX. Authorities discovered an eight-page letter in which Onuoha expressed disdain for the U.S. and referenced an event where he allegedly made inappropriate comments to a 15-year-old girl at LAX in June that led to his suspension.
When police searched Onuoha’s apartment in Inglewood, they found no dangerous materials but did turn up a handwritten note containing unspecified threats that cited the anniversary of the terror attacks, authorities said.
Onuoha told investigators he didn’t intend the calls to the airport to be threats and he had no violent intentions, according to court documents. He said he wanted to start preaching in the streets on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths