LOS ANGELES (AP) – A former Los Angeles International Airport security screener has been indicted on six counts accusing him of making threats that forced the evacuation of several terminals on the eve of the anniversary of 9/11, authorities said Monday.
Nna Alpha Onuoha, 29, was indicted Friday on three counts each of false information and hoaxes, and making telephonic threats. If convicted, he faces up to 45 years in prison. Onuoha, originally from Nigeria, is being held without bond.
Onuoha quit his Transportation Security Administration job earlier this month and returned hours later to leave a package at the agency’s airport headquarters that was addressed to a manager.
Onuoha made calls saying the airport should be cleared immediately and he would be watching to make sure the evacuation took place, according to the indictment. He also told airport police he “was going to deliver a message to America and to the world,” the indictment alleges.
A bomb squad found no explosives or harmful contents in the package left at LAX. Authorities discovered an eight-page letter in which Onuoha expressed disdain for the U.S. and referenced an event where he allegedly made inappropriate comments to a 15-year-old girl at LAX in June that led to his suspension.
When police searched Onuoha’s apartment in Inglewood, they found no dangerous materials but did turn up a handwritten note containing unspecified threats that cited the anniversary of the terror attacks, authorities said.
Onuoha told investigators he didn’t intend the calls to the airport to be threats and he had no violent intentions, according to court documents. He said he wanted to start preaching in the streets on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon