WESTBROOK, Maine (AP) – A kitten that was put in a microwave in Maine when it was 8 weeks old has been given a new home, an animal shelter announced Friday.
Mary Byram of Scarborough will take home Miracle after winning a lottery put on by the Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland, in Westbrook, WCHS-TV reported.
The kitten was sent to the shelter in September after police found a roughly 10-second video on Twitter of it being put in the microwave. The video showed one girl place the cat in the microwave, close the door and appear to turn it on. Police weren’t sure how long the oven was on.
Two 15-year-old girls from South Portland were charged with animal cruelty, but their names haven’t been released because they are juveniles.
When Miracle arrived at the shelter, she struggled to keep up her body temperature, failed to properly absorb nutrients and had severe fleas, said Lynne McGhee, who does community relations for the shelter.
McGhee said those issues could be the result of number of things, like Miracle being taken away from her mother too soon, and couldn’t attribute any of them specifically to her being put in the microwave.
Hundreds of people from around the world contacted the shelter hoping to take the kitten home.
McGhee said Byram, who is retired, is a great pick for Miracle’s owner because she can spend a lot of time with the kitten.
“It’s just a great win-win situation,” she said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier