WESTBROOK, Maine (AP) – A kitten that was put in a microwave in Maine when it was 8 weeks old has been given a new home, an animal shelter announced Friday.
Mary Byram of Scarborough will take home Miracle after winning a lottery put on by the Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland, in Westbrook, WCHS-TV reported.
The kitten was sent to the shelter in September after police found a roughly 10-second video on Twitter of it being put in the microwave. The video showed one girl place the cat in the microwave, close the door and appear to turn it on. Police weren’t sure how long the oven was on.
Two 15-year-old girls from South Portland were charged with animal cruelty, but their names haven’t been released because they are juveniles.
When Miracle arrived at the shelter, she struggled to keep up her body temperature, failed to properly absorb nutrients and had severe fleas, said Lynne McGhee, who does community relations for the shelter.
McGhee said those issues could be the result of number of things, like Miracle being taken away from her mother too soon, and couldn’t attribute any of them specifically to her being put in the microwave.
Hundreds of people from around the world contacted the shelter hoping to take the kitten home.
McGhee said Byram, who is retired, is a great pick for Miracle’s owner because she can spend a lot of time with the kitten.
“It’s just a great win-win situation,” she said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development