WESTBROOK, Maine (AP) – A kitten that was put in a microwave in Maine when it was 8 weeks old has been given a new home, an animal shelter announced Friday.
Mary Byram of Scarborough will take home Miracle after winning a lottery put on by the Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland, in Westbrook, WCHS-TV reported.
The kitten was sent to the shelter in September after police found a roughly 10-second video on Twitter of it being put in the microwave. The video showed one girl place the cat in the microwave, close the door and appear to turn it on. Police weren’t sure how long the oven was on.
Two 15-year-old girls from South Portland were charged with animal cruelty, but their names haven’t been released because they are juveniles.
When Miracle arrived at the shelter, she struggled to keep up her body temperature, failed to properly absorb nutrients and had severe fleas, said Lynne McGhee, who does community relations for the shelter.
McGhee said those issues could be the result of number of things, like Miracle being taken away from her mother too soon, and couldn’t attribute any of them specifically to her being put in the microwave.
Hundreds of people from around the world contacted the shelter hoping to take the kitten home.
McGhee said Byram, who is retired, is a great pick for Miracle’s owner because she can spend a lot of time with the kitten.
“It’s just a great win-win situation,” she said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy