SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – New bridge, same traffic.
The gleaming white and newly built $6.4 billion eastern span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge handled its first commutes Tuesday with few problems other than the traffic snarls that were common around the old span.
California Highway Patrol Officer Sam Morgan said traffic heading into San Francisco on the bridge around noon was a little heavier than usual, possibly because of excitement about the new bridge.
“Some are making it a recreational event,” Morgan said.
Officers have not encountered any instances of people pulling over on the roadway to take pictures of the span, Morgan said.
But Officer Daniel Hill told San Jose-based KNTV-TV that some drivers were warned or cited for taking photos and cellphone video while driving. He did not have exact numbers.
One person also received a warning for driving and taking pictures on the closed section of the old bridge, Morgan said.
“While everybody is excited about the new bridge, please remember it is still a roadway designed to get you from Point A to Point B,” Morgan warned.
The first ticket issued on the new span went to a motorcyclist going 70 mph, 20 mph over the posted speed limit, according to the Oakland Tribune. Just hours after the bridge opened a woman driving east was pulled over near the toll plaza and booked on suspicion of DUI, marking the first arrest. And the first crash occurred as well: A three-car collision at 11 a.m. that sent one person to the hospital with minor injuries.
The new, self-anchored suspension span with its single looming white tower opened Monday night, hours after a low-key inaugural chain-cutting ceremony and after years of delays and cost overruns.
It replaces a structure that was damaged during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, which struck as millions tuned in to watch Game 3 of the “Bay Bridge World Series” between the Oakland Athletics and San Francisco Giants. The replacement span is designed to withstand the strongest earthquake estimated by seismologists to occur at the site over a 1,500-year period.
Meanwhile, the new bridge’s bike and pedestrian path opened Tuesday, although it does not yet run the full length of the new span. In a ceremony complete with ringing bike bells, the path was dedicated to the late Alex Zuckermann, founder of the East Bay Bicycle Coalition and the man credited for persuading Caltrans to build the path.
Oakland Mayor Jean Quan predicted the path itself would become a local attraction.
“Just enjoying that will become an experience that people all over the Bay Area, and probably all over the world, are going to want to have,” she said during remarks at the opening.
Associated Press writer Terry Collins contributed to this report.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.