JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) – A pregnant woman and a child were among three people killed in an SUV crash that left six others injured in northern New Jersey, authorities said Sunday.
The crash happened Saturday night on Route 15 near an intersection in Jefferson Township. Investigators said the vehicle suddenly swerved and left the roadway before overturning, ejecting several passengers.
Lucila Colon, 62, and Tevia Booth, 11, died at the scene, while Julissa Colon, 36, died later at a hospital, Morris County prosecutors said. Julissa Colon was five months pregnant, and her fetus didn’t survive.
Colon’s sister, Elizabeth Echevarria, told The Star-Ledger of Newark all three deceased victims were members of the same family. Lucila Colon was Booth’s grandmother, Echevarria said.
The SUV’s driver, 37-year-old Luis Torres of Jersey City, was being held Sunday on $750,000 cash bail. He’s charged with three counts each of aggravated manslaughter and vehicular homicide and five counts of assault by auto.
Jefferson Township police say Torres told them he and his passengers had attended a family gathering that day in Sussex County and were on their way home when the crash occurred. They say Torres admitted he had been drinking beer for most of the day and said he was trying to pass another vehicle when he lost control of the SUV.
He also allegedly told police he was driving along unfamiliar roads and relying on his GPS, the Star-Ledger reported.
It wasn’t immediately clear whether Torres had an attorney.
Torres and the remaining passengers _ all Jersey City residents who ranged in age from 5 to 40 _ suffered moderate to serious injuries.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier