JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) – A pregnant woman and a child were among three people killed in an SUV crash that left six others injured in northern New Jersey, authorities said Sunday.
The crash happened Saturday night on Route 15 near an intersection in Jefferson Township. Investigators said the vehicle suddenly swerved and left the roadway before overturning, ejecting several passengers.
Lucila Colon, 62, and Tevia Booth, 11, died at the scene, while Julissa Colon, 36, died later at a hospital, Morris County prosecutors said. Julissa Colon was five months pregnant, and her fetus didn’t survive.
Colon’s sister, Elizabeth Echevarria, told The Star-Ledger of Newark all three deceased victims were members of the same family. Lucila Colon was Booth’s grandmother, Echevarria said.
The SUV’s driver, 37-year-old Luis Torres of Jersey City, was being held Sunday on $750,000 cash bail. He’s charged with three counts each of aggravated manslaughter and vehicular homicide and five counts of assault by auto.
Jefferson Township police say Torres told them he and his passengers had attended a family gathering that day in Sussex County and were on their way home when the crash occurred. They say Torres admitted he had been drinking beer for most of the day and said he was trying to pass another vehicle when he lost control of the SUV.
He also allegedly told police he was driving along unfamiliar roads and relying on his GPS, the Star-Ledger reported.
It wasn’t immediately clear whether Torres had an attorney.
Torres and the remaining passengers _ all Jersey City residents who ranged in age from 5 to 40 _ suffered moderate to serious injuries.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development