DECATUR, Ga. (AP) – The lawyer for a man accused of firing an assault rifle outside a suburban Atlanta elementary school says her client is incompetent to stand trial.
Public defender Claudia Saari filed a motion Tuesday waiving a formal arraignment for Michael Brandon Hill.
A 13-count indictment against Hill in DeKalb County Superior Court charges him with aggravated assault, terroristic threats, firearms violations and obstruction.
Police have said Hill went to Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy in Decatur on Aug. 20 with an assault rifle and nearly 500 rounds of ammunition.
The school a few miles east of Atlanta has more than 800 students in pre-kindergarten through fifth grade. No one was injured.
Saari says her client has “extremely low cognitive functioning and mental illness.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food