MIDDLETOWN TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) – An explosion during boat maintenance at a U.S. naval base on Tuesday injured a civilian firefighter and seven sailors, one of them seriously.
Seven of the eight injured people were treated at hospitals and were released. One sailor remained hospitalized after undergoing surgery for a broken arm.
U.S. Navy officials said they were still trying to determine what caused the blast, which occurred around 9 a.m. at the Earle Naval Weapons Station in Middletown. Navy spokeswoman Beth Baker said it occurred while personnel were doing routine maintenance on a 27-foot aluminum utility boat, which is used to support port operations at the base.
The blast was confined to a boathouse where the maintenance was being done.
The names of the sailors and the Department of Defense firefighter injured in the blast weren’t immediately disclosed, and further details on their injuries weren’t provided.
The station provides ammunition and explosives for Navy vessels. Baker said ammunition and ordnance operations there were unaffected by the explosion, which was deemed an accident.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.