MIDDLETOWN TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) – An explosion during boat maintenance at a U.S. naval base on Tuesday injured a civilian firefighter and seven sailors, one of them seriously.
Seven of the eight injured people were treated at hospitals and were released. One sailor remained hospitalized after undergoing surgery for a broken arm.
U.S. Navy officials said they were still trying to determine what caused the blast, which occurred around 9 a.m. at the Earle Naval Weapons Station in Middletown. Navy spokeswoman Beth Baker said it occurred while personnel were doing routine maintenance on a 27-foot aluminum utility boat, which is used to support port operations at the base.
The blast was confined to a boathouse where the maintenance was being done.
The names of the sailors and the Department of Defense firefighter injured in the blast weren’t immediately disclosed, and further details on their injuries weren’t provided.
The station provides ammunition and explosives for Navy vessels. Baker said ammunition and ordnance operations there were unaffected by the explosion, which was deemed an accident.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food