NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) – The concrete barriers and orange traffic cones blocking the driveway of the elementary school where a gunman killed 20 first-graders and six educators will soon be replaced by a black iron gate that officials hope will improve the property’s image and keep out gawkers.
Sandy Hook Elementary School and its driveway have been closed to the public since Dec. 14, when 20-year-old Adam Lanza shot 26 people and himself at the school after killing his mother at their Newtown home. The motive remains unclear.
A local task force in May approved a plan to tear down the school and build a new one on the same property using a $50 million grant from the state. The proposal, which still must be approved by town residents, includes relocating the main driveway down the street and using the old driveway for emergency access only.
Since the shooting, the driveway has been blocked by concrete barriers and traffic cones, with a police officer guarding the site around the clock. The school isn’t visible from the street.
First Selectman Pat Llodra told The Newtown Bee that the gate will improve the property’s appearance and be a better visual deterrent to occasional visitors hoping to get a glimpse of the school.
“Maybe we can do a little landscaping around the gate to make the area look more presentable,” she said.
Officials say the gate will be similar to black iron fencing at local parks and other sites in town.
The timeline for the new school project calls for demolishing the school in November.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths