DENVER (AP) – Police shot a man suspected of killing one woman and wounding another Friday after he fired a gunshot at one of several makeshift explosive devices made from propane tanks that he placed in the middle of a street.
The man was shot in the chest by an officer responding to a report of a shooting in the Harvey Park neighborhood. A woman was later found dead in a nearby home, and a second woman was found wounded in another home, Police Chief Robert White said.
Police said Daniel Abeyta, 31, was being held for investigation of charges including murder. The identities of the women were not immediately released, and no motive was evident.
Police said Abeyta was in critical condition, while the surviving woman was in serious condition.
White said the man had two or three propane tanks with gunpowder on top and had placed them in the middle of the street. He said the man fired at one of them and it “activated,” but no one was injured.
Before he was shot, the man was seen walking with his weapons. Police alerted residents to stay inside and a high school was put on lockdown. Abeyta was shot within about a half hour of that warning.
Police didn’t immediately say whether Abeyta lived in the neighborhood, but Melissa Allen told The Denver Post (
http://bit.ly/1bDQbgb) that he has lived in the area at least since she moved in three years ago. She said he lived in a house with his wife and two children, who are in elementary school.
Allen said she and her children saw him walk down the street Friday.
“He seemed like a nice person,” she said. “He was always with his kids outside.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development