DENVER (AP) – Police shot a man suspected of killing one woman and wounding another Friday after he fired a gunshot at one of several makeshift explosive devices made from propane tanks that he placed in the middle of a street.
The man was shot in the chest by an officer responding to a report of a shooting in the Harvey Park neighborhood. A woman was later found dead in a nearby home, and a second woman was found wounded in another home, Police Chief Robert White said.
Police said Daniel Abeyta, 31, was being held for investigation of charges including murder. The identities of the women were not immediately released, and no motive was evident.
Police said Abeyta was in critical condition, while the surviving woman was in serious condition.
White said the man had two or three propane tanks with gunpowder on top and had placed them in the middle of the street. He said the man fired at one of them and it “activated,” but no one was injured.
Before he was shot, the man was seen walking with his weapons. Police alerted residents to stay inside and a high school was put on lockdown. Abeyta was shot within about a half hour of that warning.
Police didn’t immediately say whether Abeyta lived in the neighborhood, but Melissa Allen told The Denver Post (
http://bit.ly/1bDQbgb) that he has lived in the area at least since she moved in three years ago. She said he lived in a house with his wife and two children, who are in elementary school.
Allen said she and her children saw him walk down the street Friday.
“He seemed like a nice person,” she said. “He was always with his kids outside.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths