MIAMI (AP) – A South Florida man pleaded not guilty Wednesday to first-degree murder charges in the fatal shooting of his wife, whose bloody corpse was later depicted in photos he posted on Facebook.
The plea was entered during a brief hearing by an attorney for Derek Medina, 31, who also faces charges of illegally discharging a firearm inside their South Miami home and with child neglect without violence. The young daughter of Medina’s wife, 26-year-old Jennifer Alfonso, was in the home at the time, but was not harmed.
No decision has been made on whether the state will seek the death penalty, said Assistant State Attorney J. Scott Dunn. Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Yvonne Colodny set a Jan. 29 status hearing to discuss the potential death penalty and scheduled a tentative trial date for March 17.
Medina, in red jail jumpsuit and a full, dark beard, did not speak during the hearing. His attorneys have previously said he shot his wife in self-defense while she attacked him after several previous abusive episodes. Police say she was cowering and likely on her knees when Medina filed the fatal shots.
Prosecutors said they also have evidence that Medina had told other people he would kill Alfonso if she ever tried to leave him. Medina himself told investigators his wife had announced she was leaving earlier that day.
Medina attorney Saam Zanganeh said he could not predict whether prosecutors would go for the death penalty.
“It’s something that is potentially available to them. We have no influence,” he said.
Zanganeh also said evidence received from Facebook totals between 7,000 and 8,000 documents and that the defense is still awaiting videotapes from a surveillance system inside the couple’s home. Some of their confrontation is depicted on those tapes, but Zanganeh said attorneys want to look at more of it.
“We’re still waiting for a substantial amount of evidence,” he said.
According to a statement Medina made to police, he decided to post the photos of his dead wife on Facebook to notify friends and family about what had happened. Their argument began, he said, after he failed to wake up in time for the couple’s plans to watch movies on television.
Along with the photos, Medina added on Facebook, “Im going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife love you guys miss you guys take care Facebook people you will see me in the news.”
Follow Curt Anderson on Twitter:
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick