STROUDSBURG, Pa. (AP) – A northeastern Pennsylvania man accused of killing three people at a municipal meeting in August pleaded not guilty to homicide charges on Monday in a case in which prosecutors have vowed to seek the death penalty.
Rockne Newell, 59, sprayed dozens of rifle rounds as he targeted officials in Ross Township, a Pocono Mountains community about 85 miles north of Philadelphia, officials said.
Monroe County District Attorney David Christine intends to seek the death penalty for Newell, who pleaded not guilty at his arraignment.
Prosecutors have said the junk dealer was upset over the loss of his debris-strewn property after a lengthy court fight with the township. The township had acted on complaints that he lived in a storage shed, built an illegal culvert and used a bucket outside as a toilet.
The township supervisors were about 15 minutes into their public meeting on the first Monday in August when “things went terribly awry,” township solicitor John Dunn, who was one of Newell’s alleged targets but escaped injury, testified at the suspect’s preliminary hearing last month.
Newell began shooting through a front window _ with bullets piercing the wall inside the supervisors’ meeting room _ and began cutting down victims as they fled the building, according to state police.
Killed were Ross Township zoning officer David Fleetwood, 62; Gerard Kozic, 53; and James V. LaGuardia, 64.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier