STROUDSBURG, Pa. (AP) – A northeastern Pennsylvania man accused of killing three people at a municipal meeting in August pleaded not guilty to homicide charges on Monday in a case in which prosecutors have vowed to seek the death penalty.
Rockne Newell, 59, sprayed dozens of rifle rounds as he targeted officials in Ross Township, a Pocono Mountains community about 85 miles north of Philadelphia, officials said.
Monroe County District Attorney David Christine intends to seek the death penalty for Newell, who pleaded not guilty at his arraignment.
Prosecutors have said the junk dealer was upset over the loss of his debris-strewn property after a lengthy court fight with the township. The township had acted on complaints that he lived in a storage shed, built an illegal culvert and used a bucket outside as a toilet.
The township supervisors were about 15 minutes into their public meeting on the first Monday in August when “things went terribly awry,” township solicitor John Dunn, who was one of Newell’s alleged targets but escaped injury, testified at the suspect’s preliminary hearing last month.
Newell began shooting through a front window _ with bullets piercing the wall inside the supervisors’ meeting room _ and began cutting down victims as they fled the building, according to state police.
Killed were Ross Township zoning officer David Fleetwood, 62; Gerard Kozic, 53; and James V. LaGuardia, 64.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon