ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) – Two suspects in the fatal shooting of a University of Michigan medical student say they sneaked into Paul DeWolf’s basement bedroom at his medical fraternity during a burglary attempt and that his shooting was unintended, according to police statements.
The Detroit Free Press (
http://on.freep.com/1cKAGTy) reported Sunday that it obtained police statements from two men jailed on murder and home invasion charges in the death of Paul DeWolf, a 25-year-old prospective surgeon whose body was found July 24.
According to the statements, the suspects and a third man not yet charged in the case broke into Phi Rho Sigma medical fraternity and entered DeWolf’s basement bedroom, startling him.
DeWolf went to get something from his dresser and one of the suspects tried to strike him with the gun, but it fired instead, according to the statements. Ann Arbor police Detective Katie Nucci recounted the statements at a Nov. 22 warrant hearing for Joei Jordan, 20, and Shaquille Jones, 21, the newspaper said.
Using data about a stolen computer, investigators tracked Jordan to Sumter County, S.C., and Jones to North Charleston, S.C.
A third suspect accused of firing the gun is jailed in Michigan on a bond violation in another case but hasn’t been charged in DeWolf’s killing.
DeWolf was a native of Schoolcraft in southwestern Michigan and a graduate of Grand Valley State University. He was attending medical school on an Air Force scholarship and held the rank of second lieutenant.
In her testimony, Nucci said Jordan entered through an open rear window as Jones and the third man remained outside. Jordan emerged a short time later with a PlayStation 3, taken from a basement recreation room in the house and hidden in his backpack, the detective said.
Jordan climbed back through the window and let the other two in through a rear door, Jones told detectives. Eventually, they ended up in the basement, where they hid in a utility closet when they heard two students coming down a hallway, Nucci testified.
The three of them then made their way to the room where DeWolf lived and entered.
Jones said DeWolf got out of bed “and was asking what was going on,” the detective testified. She said Jones told investigators that the third suspect “pulled out a handgun and pointed it” at the medical student and “ordered DeWolf not to move.”
“At some point DeWolf grabbed something off of his desk and/or drawer” and started to move toward the third suspect, at which time the man “raised the gun and attempted to strike DeWolf with the gun, and the gun at that time fired.”
DeWolf screamed, and the suspects ran off, Nucci testified.
The next court dates are Thursday for Jones and Dec. 12 for Jordan.
Information from: Detroit Free Press,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.