PHILADELPHIA (AP) – Mayor Michael Nutter said Tuesday it would be “pure speculation” to say a contractor’s cigarette caused a gas explosion that leveled a Philadelphia home, injuring eight people.
A deputy fire marshal told reporters that investigators have not been able to interview the injured worker, who is in critical condition with burns following Monday’s explosion.
Furthermore, Nutter said, the city hasn’t been able to confirm that gas was leaking at the time, correcting a city statement previously that a gas leak was to blame for leveling the unoccupied home, which was being remodeled.
Councilman Mark Squilla had said earlier at the scene that a contractor had been trying to light the pilot on a water heater. He said neighbors reported that the man lit a cigarette at one point and the house exploded.
“That is pure speculation at this point,” Nutter said Tuesday at a news conference.
The mayor said all work at the site requiring permits were completed Friday, including installation of the hot water heater, and only cosmetic work was being done. He said the worker inside apparently was doing floor work for which no permit was required, but officials haven’t yet been able to confirm that detail.
Nutter said more than 20 residents will be allowed to return to their homes Tuesday night.
The blast came less than two months after a collapse at a Philadelphia demolition site that killed six people.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon