NEW YORK (AP) – Two rare, stolen books have been returned to Swedish authorities during a repatriation ceremony in New York City.
According to court papers, they were among 56 antique books discovered stolen from the National Library of Sweden in 2004. Authorities say the library’s senior librarian stole and sold them to collectors around the world.
The two books were traced to a rare books store in Baltimore.
Steven Feldman, a New York lawyer hired by the library, told the Wall Street Journal (
http://on.wsj.com/19jQ4rJ) the librarian used an alias to sell or consign the books to a German auction house. The librarian committed suicide shortly after confessing to the crime.
The repatriation ceremony was held Wednesday at the Manhattan district attorney’s office.
To date, four books have been recovered.
Information from: The Wall Street Journal,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas