NEW YORK (AP) – New York fire officials say a resident in a Chinatown building set off two rounds of bug bombs to battle an infestation, causing an explosion that injured 12 people.
Fire officials say the woman set off 20 canisters Wednesday. On Thursday, she deployed about two dozen more but forgot to turn off a pilot light. The poisonous flammable fumes exploded, shattering windows on three floors. Three people were seriously hurt.
Bug bombs are also known as foggers. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issued new warning labels last year reminding people to not use more than one in a room at a time and to turn off all electronic appliances and pilot lights because the pesticides are highly flammable. They cause about 500 explosions annually nationwide.
The fire was considered accidental.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development