UNION MILLS, Ind. (AP) – Grain fires are smoldering in silos at a northwestern Indiana grain elevator two days after an explosion killed a worker.
Safety manager Shawn Lambert of facility owner Co-Alliance LLP said Wednesday that firefighters working from 100 feet up were preparing to douse smoldering grain in at least two silos with water. It’s unclear how long it will take to completely extinguish all of the hot spots.
Lambert says work to remove equipment damaged in Monday’s explosion at the Union Mills Co-op allowed fresh air to ignite the grain Tuesday night and burn a rubber belt on a conveyer system.
Grain dust is the suspected cause of Monday’s blast that killed 67-year-old worker James Swank at the co-op about 30 miles southwest of South Bend.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food