YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (AP) – An Ohio woman accused of using ice cream to lure a mentally disabled woman and her child to captivity pleaded guilty Friday in a forced-labor case.
Dezerah Silsby, 21, entered the plea in U.S. District Court under the terms of a sealed plea agreement.
There was no immediate comment from her attorney in response to a request. The government wouldn’t say whether she had agreed to testify against her co-defendants.
The U.S. attorney’s office said she pleaded guilty to four counts of an indictment charging her with threatening the victim, beating her and making her do housework. Authorities say the ordeal lasted from early 2011 to late 2012.
Two other defendants face trial in February. A fourth has pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate.
Attorneys for the two defendants facing trial didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment Friday.
The FBI affidavit said Silsby smashed the woman’s hand with a rock so she could go to a hospital and bring back pain medication for the suspects.
The suspects forced the woman to cooperate by threats and physical abuse, federal prosecutors said. The woman told authorities she was made to do housework by the suspects, who she said raided her bank account and menaced her with snakes and pit bulls.
The woman and her daughter, who was 5, were freed after police investigated an abuse allegation one of the suspects made against her.
Police first got involved when the woman was arrested on a candy bar shoplifting case and asked to be jailed because people had been mean to her.
Authorities said the abuse allegation was a ruse, complete with a video staged by the suspects. They said the suspects had forced the woman to act as if she were mistreating her child.
The woman later pleaded guilty to child endangering and was sentenced in February to about five months in jail. She served only part of that sentence.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.