YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (AP) – An Ohio woman accused of using ice cream to lure a mentally disabled woman and her child to captivity pleaded guilty Friday in a forced-labor case.
Dezerah Silsby, 21, entered the plea in U.S. District Court under the terms of a sealed plea agreement.
There was no immediate comment from her attorney in response to a request. The government wouldn’t say whether she had agreed to testify against her co-defendants.
The U.S. attorney’s office said she pleaded guilty to four counts of an indictment charging her with threatening the victim, beating her and making her do housework. Authorities say the ordeal lasted from early 2011 to late 2012.
Two other defendants face trial in February. A fourth has pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate.
Attorneys for the two defendants facing trial didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment Friday.
The FBI affidavit said Silsby smashed the woman’s hand with a rock so she could go to a hospital and bring back pain medication for the suspects.
The suspects forced the woman to cooperate by threats and physical abuse, federal prosecutors said. The woman told authorities she was made to do housework by the suspects, who she said raided her bank account and menaced her with snakes and pit bulls.
The woman and her daughter, who was 5, were freed after police investigated an abuse allegation one of the suspects made against her.
Police first got involved when the woman was arrested on a candy bar shoplifting case and asked to be jailed because people had been mean to her.
Authorities said the abuse allegation was a ruse, complete with a video staged by the suspects. They said the suspects had forced the woman to act as if she were mistreating her child.
The woman later pleaded guilty to child endangering and was sentenced in February to about five months in jail. She served only part of that sentence.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them