(AP) – The Pew Research Center survey on the experiences of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people was conducted April 11-29, 2013. The results are based on online interviews of 1,197 adults who self-identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.
The nationwide survey was conducted online by the GfK Group of Palo Alto, Calif.
The original sample was drawn from a panel of respondents GfK recruited via phone or mail survey methods. The company provides Web access to panel recruits who don’t already have it. With a probability basis and coverage of people who otherwise couldn’t access the Internet, GfK’s online surveys using KnowledgePanel are nationally representative.
The poll included interviews with 398 gay men, 277 lesbian women, 479 people who are bisexual and 43 people who identify primarily as transgender. The survey assessed sexual orientation and gender identity separately, and respondents indicated which group they felt best described them.
Results for the poll were weighted, or adjusted, to reflect the best estimates of demographics including gender, race, ethnicity, education, age and household income, as well as region and metropolitan area, for the LGBT population. The panel from which the survey respondents were selected is also weighted to reflect the adult population by demographic factors such as age, sex, race, education, income and homeownership status along with region, metropolitan area and Internet access.
No more than one time in 20 should chance variations in the sample cause the results to vary by more than plus or minus 4.1 percentage points from the answers that would be obtained if all self-identified lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender adults in the U.S. were polled.
There are other sources of potential error in polls, including the wording and order of questions.
The questions and results are available at
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier