SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) – An explosion Tuesday in the boiler room of a high school gymnasium was so powerful it lifted the building’s roof and caused heavy damage inside but no serious injuries.
The blast around 7:30 a.m. at Valley High School in Santa Ana was in a girls’ locker room and happened before classes began, although some students already were on campus.
Security camera video shows the fiery explosion lift the building’s roof as at least a half-dozen people ran from the area. The blast blew doors off their hinges and sent smoke billowing from the building, which houses the gym, locker rooms and offices.
No students or staff were inside, said Deidra Powell, a spokeswoman for the Santa Ana Unified School District.
Four students sitting on a bench with their backs to the boiler room were taken to hospital for injuries described as minor.
“They were more just shook up,” Orange County Fire Authority spokesman Capt. Jon Muir said.
Muir said the explosion ripped off a door and blew it about 75 feet, tore at least three other doors from their hinges, knocked down ceiling tiles, and lifted the roof 4 to 5 inches off its load-bearing wall.
“It was a very big deal,” he said. “It’s fortunate there were no kids inside. It was a big explosion.”
The cause is under investigation, though Muir said fire investigators believe a mechanical or gas-related problem may have prompted the explosion since the force of the blast went up and not out.
The campus was reopened around 8:30 a.m. and students attended regular classes. Some courses held near the blast site were moved to a different location.
The school, which opened in 1959, has about 1,800 students.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes