SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) – An explosion Tuesday in the boiler room of a high school gymnasium was so powerful it lifted the building’s roof and caused heavy damage inside but no serious injuries.
The blast around 7:30 a.m. at Valley High School in Santa Ana was in a girls’ locker room and happened before classes began, although some students already were on campus.
Security camera video shows the fiery explosion lift the building’s roof as at least a half-dozen people ran from the area. The blast blew doors off their hinges and sent smoke billowing from the building, which houses the gym, locker rooms and offices.
No students or staff were inside, said Deidra Powell, a spokeswoman for the Santa Ana Unified School District.
Four students sitting on a bench with their backs to the boiler room were taken to hospital for injuries described as minor.
“They were more just shook up,” Orange County Fire Authority spokesman Capt. Jon Muir said.
Muir said the explosion ripped off a door and blew it about 75 feet, tore at least three other doors from their hinges, knocked down ceiling tiles, and lifted the roof 4 to 5 inches off its load-bearing wall.
“It was a very big deal,” he said. “It’s fortunate there were no kids inside. It was a big explosion.”
The cause is under investigation, though Muir said fire investigators believe a mechanical or gas-related problem may have prompted the explosion since the force of the blast went up and not out.
The campus was reopened around 8:30 a.m. and students attended regular classes. Some courses held near the blast site were moved to a different location.
The school, which opened in 1959, has about 1,800 students.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier