A 4-month-old child is safe after being locked in a Mesa home with a man who refused to come out.
The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office received a domestic violence call Sunday from the mother of the child, and MCSO spokesman Chris Hegstrom said a SWAT team was called in.
“The child was able to be taken out of the home safely without incident. The man was still in the home claiming he was going to commit suicide,” Hegstrom said.
The baby was reunited with its mother. Hegstrom said deputies stayed on scene to help get 21-year-old Jason Talavera out safely.
“It was a very peaceful ending as we were able to extract Jason from the home and get him the help that he needs,” said Hegstrom.
Talavera is thought to be the father of the child. He was evaluated by medical staff and taken to the Fourth Avenue Jail awaiting charges.
- This neighborhood has fastest rising rents, home values in Phoenix area
- Mesa community medicine program shutters due to lack of funding
- Phoenix area posts second-largest increase in construction jobs in US
- Las Vegas shooting victim throws out first pitch at Cubs game
- Off Central: Valley girls take part in first responder preparedness course