A 4-month-old child is safe after being locked in a Mesa home with a man who refused to come out.
The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office received a domestic violence call Sunday from the mother of the child, and MCSO spokesman Chris Hegstrom said a SWAT team was called in.
“The child was able to be taken out of the home safely without incident. The man was still in the home claiming he was going to commit suicide,” Hegstrom said.
The baby was reunited with its mother. Hegstrom said deputies stayed on scene to help get 21-year-old Jason Talavera out safely.
“It was a very peaceful ending as we were able to extract Jason from the home and get him the help that he needs,” said Hegstrom.
Talavera is thought to be the father of the child. He was evaluated by medical staff and taken to the Fourth Avenue Jail awaiting charges.
- Three Arizona cities among top 20 in US for singles
- Taste of Arizona Festival to come to Phoenix-area next month
- Missing Mesa teenager found, returns home to family
- Off Central: Arizona brothers tap into craft cider making to help veterans
- Mesa man accused of sexually assaulting two women at his home