(AP) – Key moments in a shooting rampage Friday that killed at least four people in Santa Monica, Calif., before a gunman was shot and killed by police in a college library. Based on reports from witnesses, police, and fire, college and hospital officials.
_ At 11:52 a.m. PDT, firefighters respond to a blaze at a house about a mile from Santa Monica College. Two people are eventually found dead in the burned house. Two officials tell The Associated Press the victims are the gunman’s father and brother.
_ The gunman shoots and injures one person driving by, then carjacks another vehicle, having a woman give him a ride at gunpoint.
_ The gunman shoots at a public bus at a nearby intersection, leaving three people with minor injuries.
_ At about noon, shots are heard around the campus of Santa Monica College. The campus and two nearby schools are locked down. Witnesses see a man dressed in black wearing cargo pants and a ballistic vest shoot at a red SUV with a semi-automatic rifle. The driver is hit in the torso and the car accelerates across the street into a wall. The driver dies. One passenger is critically injured.
_ The gunman exchanges gunfire with college and city police. He moves on to the 38-acre campus, making his way toward the library.
_ The gunman shoots a woman outside the library. She dies about three hours later at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.
_ Shortly after noon, the suspect walks into the library, where he exchanges gunfire with police and is wounded. He is carried to a sidewalk, where he dies.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night