SOUTH NYACK, N.Y. (AP) – Authorities filed criminal charges against a worker whose actions led to a gas explosion that injured seven people at a suburban New York college, the police chief said Wednesday.
Douglas Walker, 44, of South Nyack, surrendered to the South Nyack-Grand View Police Department on Tuesday night, said Chief Brent Newbury.
Police would not specifically say what Walker’s involvement was in the blast at Nyack College, citing an ongoing investigation. The charges were first reported Wednesday in the Journal-News.
“His actions caused the gas leak,” Newbury said. “The gas line was unintentionally damaged, but it is something that should have and could have been avoided.”
Mike Donohue, a spokesman for Orange & Rockland Utilities, said an investigation by his company found that a service pipe leading to the college gymnasium appeared to have been damaged by some kind of heavy mechanical equipment. It appeared excavation work had been done in the area, and Donohue said workers found a bent pipe had been separated from the gas main.
Walker was released without bail and was not accompanied by an attorney, according to Newbury. He is due in South Nyack Village Court on Monday night to be arraigned on reckless endangerment and assault charges. There was no telephone listing for him at the address provided by police.
Walker is identified on the Nyack College website as its director of facilities, but police said they believed he was a contract worker.
An attorney for the college was out of the country on Wednesday and not available to immediately comment, his assistant said. Calls to the college were referred to the attorney’s office.
A female student and six employees suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the June 4 explosion.
The building where the blast occurred, known as the Sky Island Lodge, is both an administrative and classroom building for the Christian college, which is about 25 miles north of New York City.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets