NEW YORK (AP) – Even as fast-food chains tout their healthy offerings, they’re also coming up with fatty new treats to keep customers interested. Case in point: Dunkin’ Donuts is adding a doughnut breakfast sandwich to its national menu this week.
The sandwich, which comes with fried eggs and bacon between a split glazed doughnut, will become a part of the permanent menu starting June 7, which the chain claims is “National Donut Day.” Dunkin’ Donuts had tested the sandwich in select stores in eastern Massachusetts in April, creating considerable buzz online.
Notably, Dunkin’ Donuts says the “Glazed Donut Breakfast Sandwich” clocks in at 360 calories, which is less than the 390 calories for the turkey sausage sandwich it recently introduced for people looking to eat better.
Dunkin’ Donuts, based in Canton, Mass., is a unit of Dunkin’ Brands Group Inc., which also owns Baskin-Robbins.
The latest concoction may seem to conflict with the push by companies to court customers with better-for-you offerings. For example, options like egg whites and whole grain bread have become common as fast-food chains scramble to attract people in their 20s and 30s, who they say want fresher, wholesome food.
That desire to give menus a healthier glow isn’t just lip service. Earlier this year, a report by the Hudson Institute found that lower-calorie options were a key indicator of growth at restaurant chains between 2006 and 2011.
The chains that expanded such options saw customer traffic rise by 11 percent, while those that didn’t saw traffic fall by 15 percent, according to the public policy research group.
But at the same time, companies know that indulgent new creations can generate excitement and a big sales spike. For example, Taco Bell says its Doritos Locos Tacos were its most successful item ever, helping lift sales at established restaurants by 8 percent last year.
Stan Frankenthaler, executive chef and vice president of product innovation at Dunkin’ Donuts, said the chain’s recent offerings of a breakfast sandwich with turkey sausage and the new doughnut sandwich are in line with its goal of offering as much variety as possible.
Already, he noted that people can customize sandwiches in multiple ways, such as requesting that it be made with a certain type of bagel.
When asked whether a customer will also be able to order a sandwich on any type of doughnut, such as a chocolate cake doughnut, Frankenthaler said, “I’m sure the store will do that for you.”
Follow Candice Choi at
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development