PALMDALE, Calif. (AP) – Officials estimate that nearly 3,000 people from some 700 homes are under evacuation orders as a wildfire rages north of Los Angeles.
LA County Sheriff’s Lt. David Coleman said at a news conference Sunday that evacuees wouldn’t be returning home until at least Monday and possibly Tuesday.
Coleman says about 2,000 people and 500 homes were under evacuation orders in the community of Lake Elizabeth, and about 800 people from 200 homes were affected in Lake Hughes.
He says another 1,000 people and 250 homes could be evacuated in the community of Green Valley if the fire moves much closer.
The fast-growing fire had burned about 40 square miles of brush in canyons and mountains about 50 miles north of downtown LA.
Six homes have been destroyed and 15 damaged.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns