PALMDALE, Calif. (AP) – Officials estimate that nearly 3,000 people from some 700 homes are under evacuation orders as a wildfire rages north of Los Angeles.
LA County Sheriff’s Lt. David Coleman said at a news conference Sunday that evacuees wouldn’t be returning home until at least Monday and possibly Tuesday.
Coleman says about 2,000 people and 500 homes were under evacuation orders in the community of Lake Elizabeth, and about 800 people from 200 homes were affected in Lake Hughes.
He says another 1,000 people and 250 homes could be evacuated in the community of Green Valley if the fire moves much closer.
The fast-growing fire had burned about 40 square miles of brush in canyons and mountains about 50 miles north of downtown LA.
Six homes have been destroyed and 15 damaged.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips