PALMDALE, Calif. (AP) – Officials estimate that nearly 3,000 people from some 700 homes are under evacuation orders as a wildfire rages north of Los Angeles.
LA County Sheriff’s Lt. David Coleman said at a news conference Sunday that evacuees wouldn’t be returning home until at least Monday and possibly Tuesday.
Coleman says about 2,000 people and 500 homes were under evacuation orders in the community of Lake Elizabeth, and about 800 people from 200 homes were affected in Lake Hughes.
He says another 1,000 people and 250 homes could be evacuated in the community of Green Valley if the fire moves much closer.
The fast-growing fire had burned about 40 square miles of brush in canyons and mountains about 50 miles north of downtown LA.
Six homes have been destroyed and 15 damaged.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night