STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) – Authorities investigating a deadly weekend SUV crash in a waterway in Northern California are being hampered by an uncooperative 911 caller and conflicting accounts from family members, a California Highway Patrol officer said on Thursday.
Investigators believe they have now recovered the bodies of all five crash victims from the slough west of Stockton after two men were pulled out on Wednesday, Officer James Smith said. The men have not been identified, but authorities have identified the other victims as 28-year-old Rafael Ontiveros of Redwood City, 40-year-old Adrian Pena of Santa Rosa, and Luis Cuevas, whose age and hometown weren’t available.
It’s still not clear, however, where the victims were coming from or headed, their relationship, if any, and what led to Sunday’s crash.
“With this situation, we have multiple fatalities, so there are very few people who know what happened,” Smith said. “With those people, information is conflicting and some are not cooperating.”
Smith said the person who called 911 to report the crash is among those who have been uncooperative.
The crash occurred around 5:30 a.m. when the 2002 Chevrolet went off a dirt and gravel road, down a levee and into the waterway, the CHP has said. Smith has said no one was inside the SUV when it was pulled from the water.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon