ALBANY, Ore. (AP) – When 17-year-old Truman Templeton didn’t want to go to an assembly at his Oregon high school, his mother knew something was wrong.
She asked, and he said that a classmate had started talking about making bombs and had brought diagrams to West Albany High School.
His mother turned to a family friend, who told her, “I know exactly who to call.”
Shannon Lewis, a juvenile probation officer for Linn County, told the Albany Democrat-Herald (
http://bit.ly/15j6CLo) she relayed the mother’s information to the Albany Police Department’s tip line, and an officer put her in touch with the 911 dispatch center.
Grant Acord, 17, was arrested that night at his father’s house in North Albany. Investigators found evidence of bomb-making and two bombs at his mother’s home.
Acord is charged with attempted aggravated murder and possession and manufacture of explosive devices. He is to be tried as an adult. He has not yet entered a plea.
Templeton told KATU-TV (
http://bit.ly/12MQfop) that Acord bragged he could make bombs, raising suspicions in the past few months. He said another friend saw a bomb or bomb components at Acord’s house, and Acord brought books about bomb-making to school.
“The tipping point for me when I was just worried about being in school,” Templeton said. “OK, school is supposed to be a safe and secure environment. I should not have to worry about this kind of stuff.”
Templeton said he hadn’t known what police would find, if anything, at Acord’s home.
“When I saw video of bomb squads and people in hazmat suits putting evidence in these bags and dumping chemicals, I realized this was a serious operation,” he said. “If I hadn’t come forward with the information I had, this could have been a lot worse.”
Information from: Albany Democrat-Herald,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food