CHAFFEE, Mo. (AP) – Federal investigators say a Union Pacific freight train involved in a collision that collapsed a Missouri highway overpass had a signal to stop when the crash happened.
The May 25 accident occurred when the UP train hit the side of a Burlington Northern Santa Fe freight train at the rail intersection near Chaffee. The accident derailed about two dozen rail cars, destroying columns supporting a highway overpass. No one was seriously injured.
The National Transportation Safety Board released its preliminary report Friday. The report says signal data show the UP train had a signal indication to stop, while the BNSF train had a signal to proceed.
The report also says the damage is estimated at $11 million.
The overpass is used by 400 to 500 cars a day.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America