ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) – An 84-year-old Albuquerque woman who uses an oxygen tank has been indicted for drug trafficking.
KRQE-TV reports (
http://bit.ly/10pHzTh) that Lillie Smith was recently indicted by a Bernalillo County grand jury for trafficking, conspiracy to commit trafficking, tampering with evidence and possession.
Court documents show the charges stem from a warrant served at her apartment in 2011.
Deputies suspected that the woman’s son, Nathan Jones, was running a small drug operation out of her home. But the sheriff’s office said deputies found cocaine and marijuana on Smith, and she tried to stash the drugs during the investigation.
“It’s definitely not something you see every day,” said Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Aaron Williamson. “When detectives were on scene she did try to take the narcotics that were on her person out and stash them.”
During the search, investigators found scales, money, narcotics and other items believed to be connected to trafficking, Williamson said.
Jones was arrested in 2011 but Smith was not because of a medical condition.
The district attorney’s office later filed charges and a grand jury returned the indictment earlier this year. She was arrested in April but bonded out of jail. It was not clear if Smith or Jones has a lawyer.
According to online court records, Smith pleaded guilty to drug trafficking in the 1990s. Her next court appearance is scheduled in July.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development