BANGOR, Maine (AP) – A man accused of using a phony Facebook profile to lure a 15-year-old girl to her death pleaded not guilty Wednesday to murder and kidnapping charges.
Kyle Dube, 20, of Orono, entered the pleas during his arraignment at the Penobscot Judicial Center. Defense lawyer Stephen Smith requested a psychological evaluation for Dube, who was returned to jail after the brief court appearance.
Dube is accused of creating a fake Facebook profile and using it to set up a meeting with Nichole Cable, of Glenburn, before killing her and hiding her body on May 12.
Police say Dube told others that he’d intended to abduct Nichole and later come to her rescue. Her remains were found in nearby Old Town eight days after she disappeared.
Nichole was reported missing May 13 by her mother, who said she had left the night before to meet a friend at the end of their road but hadn’t returned.
Dube told others that he bound Nichole and put her in the back of his father’s pickup truck and that he later discovered she was dead, authorities said.
An autopsy determined she died from asphyxiation.
Dozens of law enforcement officers, using aircraft and dogs, and hundreds of civilian volunteers spent days searching for Nichole, whose body was found the night of May 20. About 300 people turned out for her funeral.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas