BANGOR, Maine (AP) – A man accused of using a phony Facebook profile to lure a 15-year-old girl to her death pleaded not guilty Wednesday to murder and kidnapping charges.
Kyle Dube, 20, of Orono, entered the pleas during his arraignment at the Penobscot Judicial Center. Defense lawyer Stephen Smith requested a psychological evaluation for Dube, who was returned to jail after the brief court appearance.
Dube is accused of creating a fake Facebook profile and using it to set up a meeting with Nichole Cable, of Glenburn, before killing her and hiding her body on May 12.
Police say Dube told others that he’d intended to abduct Nichole and later come to her rescue. Her remains were found in nearby Old Town eight days after she disappeared.
Nichole was reported missing May 13 by her mother, who said she had left the night before to meet a friend at the end of their road but hadn’t returned.
Dube told others that he bound Nichole and put her in the back of his father’s pickup truck and that he later discovered she was dead, authorities said.
An autopsy determined she died from asphyxiation.
Dozens of law enforcement officers, using aircraft and dogs, and hundreds of civilian volunteers spent days searching for Nichole, whose body was found the night of May 20. About 300 people turned out for her funeral.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy