Peoria Fire-Medical responded to a rescue call on Calderwood Butte near 91st Ave and Jomax at appoximtely 6:45 a.m. this morning.
A 35-year-old man was climbing the face of the Butte without ropes and fell. Firefighters estimate the fall was at least several stories, possibly more.
The man suffered serious injuries to multiple areas of his body, and was transported to the nearest trauma center via helicopter. He was in critical condition when he was transported.
A bystander discovered the man and contacted authorities, and stayed with the man until help arrived.
- Weekend wrap-up: Biggest Arizona-related stories from July 6 weekend
- Firefighter injured, 4 businesses destroyed in Phoenix strip mall fire
- National registry for cancer-stricken firefighters stalls in US House
- Arizona DPS helicopter forced down after being battered by flock of birds
- Bouncer who killed off-duty Arizona firefighter sentenced to 10 years