IRVINE, Calif. (AP) – John Galardi, who opened a Wienerschnitzel hot dog stand in Los Angeles in 1961 and expanded it into a chain with more than 300 outlets in 10 U.S. states, has died, his company said Sunday.
Irvine, Calif.-based Galardi Group, parent company of Wienerschnitzel, Tastee Freez and The Original Hamburger Stand, said in a statement that Galardi died of pancreatic cancer on Saturday. He was 75.
A native of Kansas City, Galardi began working for Taco Bell founder Glen Bell at the restaurant Taco Tia in Pasadena in 1961, according to his company biography.
At age 23, looking to carve out a niche amid a fast-food landscape glutted with hamburger, chicken and taco restaurants, he opened his first restaurant, known as Der Wienerschnitzel, specializing in hot dogs and chili.
The stand in the Wilmington section of Los Angeles was the first of what would become a chain of some 350 restaurants selling more than 120 million hot dogs annually, the company statement said.
Most outlets are in California but they are found throughout the U.S. Southwest and as far east as Louisiana.
Galardi expanded the company to include The Original Hamburger Stand and ice-cream chain Tastee Freez.
He remained chairman of the Galardi Group until his death but handed over day-to-day operations to Chief Operating Officer Dennis Tase in 1993.
“Galardi built a brand representative of a time when life was simpler, a brand that holds a special place in the hearts of so many families in America,” Tase said in a statement. “He will be deeply missed.”
Galardi is survived by his wife Judane Galardi and four children.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier