LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) – Los Angeles County prosecutors say a 38-year-old homeless man suspected of setting a man on fire in a car outside a convenience store has been charged with murder.
Raymond Sean Clark pleaded not guilty Tuesday to one count each of murder and arson causing great bodily injury.
The allegations include special circumstances that would make him eligible for the death penalty, but prosecutors have not decided whether they’ll seek it.
Clark remains jailed without bail.
Authorities say 63-year-old Jerry Payne was in his SUV outside a Long Beach 7-Eleven Friday when Clark walked up and tossed a flammable substance inside, enveloping Payne in flames.
Bystanders helped douse Payne with water but he died at a hospital Monday.
Clark was arrested nearby. Investigators are trying to determine what motivated the attack.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development