LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) – Los Angeles County prosecutors say a 38-year-old homeless man suspected of setting a man on fire in a car outside a convenience store has been charged with murder.
Raymond Sean Clark pleaded not guilty Tuesday to one count each of murder and arson causing great bodily injury.
The allegations include special circumstances that would make him eligible for the death penalty, but prosecutors have not decided whether they’ll seek it.
Clark remains jailed without bail.
Authorities say 63-year-old Jerry Payne was in his SUV outside a Long Beach 7-Eleven Friday when Clark walked up and tossed a flammable substance inside, enveloping Payne in flames.
Bystanders helped douse Payne with water but he died at a hospital Monday.
Clark was arrested nearby. Investigators are trying to determine what motivated the attack.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America