LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) – Los Angeles County prosecutors say a 38-year-old homeless man suspected of setting a man on fire in a car outside a convenience store has been charged with murder.
Raymond Sean Clark pleaded not guilty Tuesday to one count each of murder and arson causing great bodily injury.
The allegations include special circumstances that would make him eligible for the death penalty, but prosecutors have not decided whether they’ll seek it.
Clark remains jailed without bail.
Authorities say 63-year-old Jerry Payne was in his SUV outside a Long Beach 7-Eleven Friday when Clark walked up and tossed a flammable substance inside, enveloping Payne in flames.
Bystanders helped douse Payne with water but he died at a hospital Monday.
Clark was arrested nearby. Investigators are trying to determine what motivated the attack.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy